The 3 Biggest Electrical Hazards to Avoid
It’s hard to imagine a world without electricity. It truly has revolutionized our world by providing light, refrigeration, air conditioning, computer usage, and much more.
It has allowed businesses to grow and become more efficient, and it has allowed our homes to become more comfortable and convenient than ever before. However, there is a downside to electricity. It can be dangerous if not used properly.
And if you don’t have much experience as an electrician, it’s probably best to abstain from DIY electrical projects and leave it to the professionals in order to avoid an electrical hazard. Here are three of the biggest electrical hazards that you should be aware of and try to avoid.
Shocked by Electric Circuits
Your home has an electric circuit that allows electricity to flow throughout the house or apartment, and the human body also conducts electricity in order for the nervous system to send signals to the brain, allowing us to think and move.
When a current of electricity makes contact with the human body, the electricity will pass through the body.
Depending on the frequency and intensity of the electricity, this can result in a range of outcomes from a subtle tingling sensation or shock to, in extreme cases, death.
Electrical burns are among the most common injuries due to electrical hazards. When an electric current passes through the body, it can cause severe damage by burning the skin, tissues, or major organs.
Like most burns, there are three degrees of severity when it comes to electrical burns. First-degree burns are only to the outer layer of the skin. Second-degree burns go a layer deeper and can cause blistering or severe swelling.
Third-degree burns can damage all layers of the skin and the tissues or organs beneath it. If you experience an electrical burn, you should seek medical attention right away.
Unplug to Avoid Electrical Fires
Ever heard your mom tell you to unplug the toaster before you leave the house or unplug the curling iron in the bathroom? Well, mom is right. Unplugging appliances when they are not in use can significantly lower the risk of unexpected electrical fires.
Even if the appliance isn’t in use or turned on, it will continue to have electrical currents running through it when it is simply plugged in. Especially if you are heading out for a long weekend or vacation, make sure you unplug as much as you can to avoid a fire hazard.
Additionally, this can prevent plugged-in appliances from accidentally being dropped in water, which could cause electric shocks or burns to people nearby if they touch the water. In addition to unplugging devices when they’re not in use, here are a few other things you can do to avoid the deadly results of electrical hazards.
First, stay away from water when you are near electrical outlets or wiring. Your skin has a high resistance to prevent a current from passing through your body, but this resistance dramatically decreases when the skin is wet or sweaty. Make sure your skin is dry or covered before handling anything electrical. Be careful when using metal objects.
When metal is poked into an electrical outlet or appliance, this can also cause injury. To err on the side of caution, use a professional electrician. If you’re not familiar with electrical wiring or if you’re unsure about proper safety precautions, it’s best to call a professional electrician like Korte Does It All to resolve any electrical issues you may have in your home.
Fill out the form below, and we’ll contact you soon to schedule your home service appointment.